Saturday 19 May 2018

How's your day been?

6pm, weeknight and my mobile phone rings. No caller ID. I don't like answering calls from 'No caller ID' but several close friends conceal their numbers so I answer the ring.

'Is that Victor?' the caller asks.

Me: 'Yes'.

Him: 'My name is Ben and I'm calling for Opera Australia'.


(I now wish I hadn't answered the call.)

Ben: 'How's your day been?'

Me: 'Is that what you called to ask me?'

Ben: (Laughs) 'That's how we begin our calls.'

(What makes Cold Callers ringing to extract your money think that idle chit chat with total strangers is a winning start?)

Ben: 'We want to thank you for your patronage and your generous donations for young singers....'

Me: (Interrupting to push forward to the inevitable real reason for the call.) 'Are you ringing to sell me tickets?'

Ben: 'No. We have a number of funding initiatives and it is nearing the end of the financial year...'

Me: (Interrupting again.) 'Whoa, whoa (speaking over the top of him) I don't respond to telephone calls for donations. Please take me off your call list.'

Ben: Yes, will do... (Don't hear the rest as I hang up.)

Until the call, my day had been good.

5 comments:

  1. We shall see if your request to removed is honoured. An email from R's volunteer job just arrived, asking him to promote over various social media donations to where he volunteers. It is most unlikely he will at all be active about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt it too Andrew. In fact a couple of years ago I complained about their harassing calls seeking my subscription but they continued to call.

      Delete
  2. I seem to be getting calls every day. I block the caller but still they keep coming. And for some reason, I get one with Chinese voice recordings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. I received one with a Chinese message this week and wondered what on earth it was about.

      Delete
  3. I see your blog daily, it is crispy to study.
    Your blog is very useful for me & i like so much...
    Thanks for sharing the good information!
    starbet football

    ReplyDelete