Sunday 4 August 2013

Behind the Candelabra


I'm not sure that many people under thirty have heard of Liberace let alone know anything about him and I imagine that many younger people seeing 'Behind the Candelabra' assume the whole thing, characters and all, is a scarcely believable fiction at least until the end credits when factual information about the entertainer is displayed.

Certainly Liberace was a character larger than life and his relationship with the much younger Scott Thorson a matter of celebrity gossip.

This apparently made-for-television movie in the USA is receiving a cinema release in Australia. It translates well to the big screen and excellent performances by Michael Douglas as 'Lee', Matt Damon as Scott and Rob Lowe as the bizarre Plastic Surgeon all contribute to a surprisingly entertaining film.

The story is based on Thorson's book about the pair and therefore its accuracy as an account of their relationship may be questionable but superficially, at least, it comes across as being fair.

The movie does not shy away from the gay relationship the pair presumably enjoyed and several scenes although in reality not graphic may still be a little too frank for some. That was the case for my bridge partner who - being a little too genteel to consider the prospect of consenting males enjoying 'congress' - told me she thought the movie contained 'too much information'.

★★★★

7 comments:

  1. I haven't heard good reports about it and it was not one I would rush to see, but Friday night a friend gave us a memory still with four of the latest movie releases, including BtC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was expecting a rubbishy film Andrew and found it better than that. Of course, Liberace led a bizarre life and that is reflected on screen.

      Delete
  2. That would be a memory stick, I expect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you think your friend, would have the same opinion about a graphic heterosexual sex scene?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting point MoM; I suspect she would.

      Delete
  4. I didn't like the sound of anything about it as I really didn't like anything about the old Queen.
    But reports from friends and the press have been excellent.
    I'm waiting for the DVD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The subject matter is a bit naff I suppose and the characters are mostly unattractive in their behaviour but that was the life we understand Liberace led.

      Delete