Friday 4 January 2013

Deja Vu

It took only three days for me to have my first spat of the year with the telecommunications company whose name I do not utter. I truly dread any contact with them. It always seems to go off the rails.

What happened this time?

Last week I purchased a new dongle to use with my laptop. This was to replace the previous dongle I broke when I carelessly swung my lap top around in Brisbane's airport lounge. My fault.

The new dongle works fine apart from a seemingly superfluous extra step at each logon. I wanted to know why and what I could do about it.

I approached the ubiquitous 'triage' salesperson with his tablet in hand and explained my enquiry. He had no answer for it and placed me in the queue for their help desk. The delay would be 40 minutes and they would text me when my turn arrived.

OK. The delay turned out to be far less than forty minutes. A tick for the telecommunications company. The text said check in with the store now. So I did. A new 'triage' person with tablet in hand waved me to the help desk.

And there I waited, apparently invisible to any staff member. 'Triage' persons with tablets in hand continued to queue customers left, right and centre but very few of them were actually attending to any of the enquiries. Five minutes passed by. Ten minutes passed by. Still no staff member interrupted whatever was consuming their time to attend to me.

Eventually the help desk staff member who had been busy the entire time staring at his lap top lifted his head to enquire what I was doing loitering there. (He didn't use those words but that effectively was his tone.)

I explained my enquiry. He said he was too busy with customers (there were no others around us) to attend to me. I showed him the text message telling me my turn in the queue had arrived. 'I didn't send that', he said. Several minutes of argy-bargy about customer service ensued. When I indicated the tablet bearing staff member who had directed me to his desk he wearily deigned to investigate my enquiry. His eventual response? The dongle is working fine. He can't explain the superfluous step but as the dongle is working I should just put up with it.

It's his company that I 'put up with'.

2 comments:

  1. I thought your complaint might have been about alterations to your cable tv company. Seems they have downsized the product, but kept the price the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you should say that Andrew, I only noticed the change in movie channels last night although I had heard about changes occurring in the new year without knowing the details. I'm just hoping that some offerings such as 'Mad Men' that were screened on a now disappeared movie channel will be shown on the new ones.

    I gather the pay television company is responding to complaints with the advice that they are negotiating deals with new film distributors which should increase their offerings in future. I suppose time will show whether those nebulous promises satisfy critics.

    ReplyDelete