Friday 25 May 2012

Then and now

I had planned to include a 'then' photo in this post from Andrew's blog but unfortunately I haven't been able to locate the relevant post from his site.

Let me go back a step. In my memory (and mind's eye) a few weeks (months?) back Andrew posted historic photographs of trams in Sydney one of which was taken near the corner of Queen Street and Ocean St, Woollahra. That intersection is quite near to where I live and at the time of Andrew's post I made a mental note to take a photograph from the same position for comparison.

As is my habit it has taken me weeks (months?) to follow through on my promise. Today was the day. I found myself at that intersection on my constitutional this afternoon, remembered that promise and took my photograph even though conditions for photography were not absolutely ideal with the afternoon sun in the snap.

Here is the 'now' photograph taken, I believe, from a similar position to that in Andrew's historic photo but of course minus the tram and tram lines which were removed in the 1960s.

Queen Street Woollahra, May 2012


So what has happened to the 'then' photo? Well I searched for it using Andrew's blog tags but obviously I can't read Andrew's mind as well as I imagined. I tried 'tram', 'transport', 'sydney', 'history', 'old' and even 'quiz' with no success. I even went back in his archives about 6 months but still no luck.

Perhaps what I remember as a blog post from Andrew was an email but thinking it through is giving me a headache. I give up!

UPDATE: Andrew confirms it was an email message and not his blog. So here is the 'then' photo (courtesy of Andrew);

Queens Street, Woollahra tram and tracks

2 comments:

  1. Yes, an email, not a blog post. I'll find it shortly and email the photo to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like then and now photos. It is worth noting the photographer was Ian Brady who took many photos of Sydney public transport, especially trams.

    I found a caption for the old photo. 'This is at the corner of Queen and Ocean Streets Woollahra, taken on the weekend of 13 November 1954 when the junction was reorganised for the closure of the line to Bondi via Bellevue Hill and its termination at Ocean Street. The tram is in Queen Street.'

    ReplyDelete