Thursday 24 May 2012

An 'inspiration'

Doctors' waiting rooms are well named. You spend a lot of time waiting in them.

I had to see my doctor today simply to renew my prescriptions. As usual I arrived ten minutes ahead of my appointment time. As usual my doctor was behind time. Thirty five minutes after the scheduled time, that is forty-five minutes after my arrival, I was called in. I requested the new prescriptions.

After a dash of flattery - 'you are looking very well' - came the report of previous tests.

Blood tests, a tick but I should spend a few minutes in the sun at midday because my Vitamin D reading is a little low. 
Blood pressure, a tick. Good readings 
Cholesterol, a tick. Medication is keeping it under control. 
Weight, a little up. Keep with the walking regime. 
Lung capacity, still poor. Keep using the puffers.

'How old are you now?' '63 next month'  'You are an inspiration'. End of consultation.

So. Who was flattering whom? He was flattering me. I didn't believe a word of it.

2 comments:

  1. I have walked out twice after waiting for a long time after my appointment time. The second time I went elsewhere and never went back. I now have a doctor who apologises if he is five minutes late. If one can stay on time, I don't see why they all can't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pleased to hear you are an inspiration too.

    ReplyDelete