Friday 8 July 2011

On the spot


I visit The Spot at Randwick regularly mostly to attend the movies at the Ritz, a multiplex cinema complex but one which is family run, has a nice family feel and family friendly prices and which maintains the original Art Deco auditorium as the main screen.

The Spot has a village style with its cafes and a small number of other retail outlets. There are no large or major chain stores so the area has a relaxed feel. The Spot is promoted as a bit of a tourist location which I think is oversell and raises unrealistic expectations. I recall being approached by a tourist couple there once who asked how they get to The Spot and their look of disappointment when I told them they were standing in the middle of it was painful to view.

I occasionally get hamburgers from the traditional Greek owned milk bar and cafe on the corner and they are cheap and delicious. I am always partial to purchasing lamingtons to devour at the movies from the old style cake shop across the intersection but for some reason I have rarely dined in any of the restaurants there.

Yesterday I had lunch at the Seahorse Restaurant. It was very pleasant. Hn and I both ordered Atlantic Salmon, Je selected Barramundi, Ae settled for a Risotto with seafood whilst Be, the anti-seafood diner, stayed true to himself and yet again chose a Chicken meal.

I think we will be back.

1 comment:

  1. "I recall being approached by a tourist couple there once who asked how they get to The Spot and their look of disappointment when I told them they were standing in the middle of it was painful to view."

    - too funny. The Spot does have charm but it is in modest proportions. To sell it to tourists would definitely be oversell.

    ReplyDelete