Monday 3 January 2011

Little Fockers

When you go to see a comedy do you expect to laugh? Do you expect to hear others in the audience laughing? It seems to me that the answer to both questions should be 'yes'. After all a typical definition for 'comedy' is 'light and humorous drama with a happy ending'.

When we went to see 'Little Fockers' the other day, with a large audience in attendance, nobody - not one person - was heard to laugh during the film. I imagine the screenplay looked funny on paper but as lines delivered by a talented cast the words just floated away without effect, certainly without any humorous effect.

Was the drama 'light'? I suppose it was in terms of intelligence but the plotline was hardly subtle, scene after scene delivered with the subtlety of a sledgehammer.

This is the third film in the 'Meet the Parents' series and on the evidence of it the franchise has well and truly run its course.

4 comments:

  1. According to the papers here in the US this was the top grossing movie over the weekend but even the previews here looked tired so I opted to skip it.

    BosGuy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not seen any of them, but Ken said the first one was pretty good. I think the second one was on tv here last night, but the English soundtrack was not available so I didn't watch. I don't like watching American films dubbed into French.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wcs - the first film was fun but the second and third films just repeat the same joke which was the premise of the original and are stale in comparison.

    Since I wrote the post I read that Dustin Hoffmann refused to do the third film (he was in the previous two) because he thought the script too poor but he relented when changes were made. I think his initial judgement was spot on.

    ReplyDelete