Tuesday 4 January 2011

Harbour lights

On News Years Eve I took videos of the mid evening family fireworks and then the midnight new year's fireworks as viewed from balcony of my apartment; a total of 20 minutes of footage comprising 8 minutes for the earlier video and 12 minutes for the later one.

My intention was to dazzle readers with twin posts containing the videos. I downloaded (uploaded?) both videos to my computer successfully and both look pretty good if I say so myself. However all my attempts to download (upload?) the videos to my blog and to You Tube have been spectacularly unsuccessful. I was mortified when I found that my attempts used up over 25% of my 'friendly' ISP's monthly broadband internet entitlement in less than a day. Said ISP (the dastardly Telstra) thoughtfully...and automatically...slowed down my connection to worse than the old dial up days.

So, readers, you will only have access to my masterworks should you pay a personal visit to my home to view them on my computer as I have no intention of attempting to transfer those videos anywhere else.

By way of compensation here is an inferior still image I sleepily took at 1.14am on New Years Day an hour after the fireworks ended. As usual you can click the image to enlarge it.

Craft that had anchored all around the harbour for the fireworks are dispersing. The brightly lit area across the lower half of the photo is Double Bay Park which sits at water's edge at the bottom of the hill from where I live. The brightly lit area in top right of the photo is the suburb of Manly that lies between the harbour on this side and the Pacific Ocean on the other. I suspect that Manly was still a lively spot at the time I took the photo notwithstanding the news that several of the major hotels there, in a change from previous years, were closing their doors at 11pm on New Year's Eve in an attempt as I heard it explained to reposition themselves as family oriented venues.

1 comment:

  1. The Styne, a family hotel. Haha. I've had enough of fireworks, so it is nice to see your still photo.

    ReplyDelete