Tuesday 8 June 2010

Oresteia

I'm not really into 2,500 years' old, three hours' long, Greek tragedies about Kings and Queens who murder each other as well as their own parents and children as told by chanting Greek choruses and characters speaking long and obscure soliloquies.

So it was with considerable lack of enthusiasm that I went to see the Sydney Theatre Company's current production of 'Oresteia'. To my surprise (and a good deal of relief) I quite enjoyed the production. Considerable credit must go to Tom Wright who has created the new adaptation as well directing the production.

I referred to the program notes for a synopsis of the plot which I otherwise would not have understood from the dialogue alone and yet I was able to relate to the dialogue to a greater extent than I expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment