Saturday 19 September 2009

One blow job I didn't enjoy


Last night six of us who worked together back in the mid 1990s had a meal at the Greek Islands Taverna. We dine out as a group every six months or so taking it in turns to select a venue. The Taverna was the choice of Sm who is of Greek origin and lives around the corner from the venue.

It seems to be a popular establishment judging by the packed and noisy clientele we encountered. The food was fine and I ate greedily from the platters set before us. Probably a little too greedily actually. Not only did I eat more than I needed but the after effects of the spicy food (sausage, souvlaki and the like) are still lingering this afternoon.

At dinner's end I offered to drive Pl home.

Not being a drinker, I stuck to lemon squash and a closing hot chocolate and was not concerned on the drive home when I was stopped by police at a check point and asked to undergo a breath test. Pl had been drinking but he was not asked to take the test.

The test was of the type where you count from one to ten into the machine. Not as potentially erotic as the old 'blow on this tube' type test of the past years.

As usual, one of the first questions the policeman asked me was whether I had drunk alcohol during the evening and I confidently (and truthfully) answered 'no'. When he checked my reading, the policeman asked was I sure I hadn't drunk alcohol. 'Yes', I replied. 'Are you wearing after shave?' he then asked. 'No' was my answer.

Apparently I was registering alcohol on the meter but thankfully not enough to break any rules.

I was flabbergasted that I was registering at all. Was it possible that Pl's alcohol consumption was registering from where he was sitting in the passenger's seat? Perhaps some of the Greek dishes (dips?) were prepared with lashings of alcohol?

I have taken many breath tests over the years and to my knowledge this was first time I have ever registered any alcohol intake.

2 comments:

  1. That is really weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not familiar with that type of test, but from what I understand, breath analysis isn't particularly reliable - hence why they'll pull you over for a blood screen if you return a 0.05% BAC or higher result on a breatho.

    I also know a few cops who turn up to work half pissed, so maybe it was the alcohol from the officer conducting the test that altered your result?

    ReplyDelete