Wednesday 2 September 2009

On The Beach


My workmate at the hospital, Ja, is going to Hawaii tomorrow and will be staying at Waikiki Beach. She was offered the trip, all expenses paid, just last Friday by an acquaintance who is going to compete in a triathlon there. The acquaintance is a man she has known for six months and who drinks at some of the clubs and bars she frequents.

Ja has been so excited about the trip she has been telling all our co-workers about it and yesterday one of the younger ones asked her whether she will have to stay in the same room as the acquaintance.

I hadn't really thought about it until hearing the question which initially I thought was an odd one and then realised that I probably had assumed that Ja would be sharing a room with this man. I don't know whether this reflects my thinking as a man, or as an older man or even as a dirty old man.

Ja did not miss a beat in answering the question. Interestingly, the answer was pretty non-committal and could have been code for anything from 'I don't care or know' through to 'mind your own business'.

3 comments:

  1. Hopefully she has fun wherever she ends up staying. If she is staying in his room, maybe she didn't want to admit it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knowing that she has only known him for six months and knows him only from bars and clubs she frequents, I'd be a bit uncomfortable sleeping in the same hotel room if I were in her shoes.

    Although, now that I think about it, coincidentally my senior class trip during my high school days was to Hawaii and I was the only guy from my high school who went. And the 8 of us went to Hawaii with another senior class from another nearby community. And I roomed with three other guys I had never met before. And one of them was quite cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael - knowing her I'm sure she will have fun.

    Steven - how nice to be unexpectedly rooming with a cute guy.

    ReplyDelete