Wednesday 5 August 2009

The Proposal


Sandra Bullock is the high powered publishing executive who bullies her executive assistant Ryan Reynolds into a sham engagement in order to avoid deportation from the USA.

At the outset The Proposal echoes The Devil Wears Prada with its bullying boss and cowering staff but once the deportation scenario is established it switches to rather silly territory becoming increasingly ludicrous and implausible.

The film is redeemed in part by the attractive 'Alaskan' scenery (in reality Boston and computer generated) whilst Reynolds, whose attractiveness matches the scenery, does a nice comic turn. Betty White provides some interesting moments although her native Indian scene competes with a male stripper character for the movie's most ridiculous aspect.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, RR is nice to look at, but silly, straight romantic comedies don't attract me. We watch plenty of them on tv - mindless afternoon entertainment and reminders of what life in the US is like (even though some are set in Britain, or Canada, or Australia). Ken likes them. I call them chick flicks.

    Ludicrous and implausible is a good description for many of these movies. Some good comedies can pull it off, but most can't.

    Reason #476 for why I don't pay to go to movies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Considering how I do so love to heap scorn onto pop culture I'd see this as the irrational gay-side of my brain has a hardon for Sandra Bullock, and the irrational horny-side of my brain gets off on Ryan Reynolds.

    Now that I've shared that with you I'm afraid I will have to kill you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wcs - I have a high threshhold for ludicrous and implausible films. Nice to see you can comment again.

    Mutant - in that case, perhaps I should decline your recent invitation to drinks.

    ReplyDelete