Tuesday 4 August 2009

I was only asking...


"Hi, I haven't seen you for weeks. How have you been?"

I was signing off after my seven hours shift today, a bit weary and keen to leave. Fellow volunteer Jr, who I hadn't seen in ages, was present and I uttered the unremarkable polite query above. Well, she certainly told me.

First I received a complete rundown on her health; high blood pressure and all. Then without any prompting from me Jr moved on to her quarreling cousins and a series of testy telephone conversations they had exchanged. By now my head was reeling from this information about people unknown to me but Jr wasn't yet finished. She turned then to whether she should work on Thursday with My who Jr breathlessly informed me could chatter away endlessly and seemed unable to notice that whoever she was talking to wanted to be left alone. "Do you know what I mean?" Jr asked me, finally taking breath before continuing.

Yes, Jr, I did know and I was only asking.

No comments:

Post a Comment