Thursday 4 June 2009

My Year Without Sex



Yet another film whose title seems to be a chapter heading for my life.

Sacha Horler and Matt Day are living the family life in suburban Australia with their wise-before-their-years pre-teen children when health issues turn their lives into a spin.

The movie title and the trailer give the impression this is a rip roaring comedy. Whilst it contains some humorous moments the film is in fact a quite serious, occasionally whimsical, collection of vignettes depicting the family's life over the period of a year.

Each month is given a dry title with sexual connotations and although there are linkages between the months there is little by way of overall story. That is not to say this film lacks interest. It seems to me a realistic depiction of the lives of what our Prime Minister likes to refer to as 'working families'.

Being set in the state of Victoria My Year Without Sex cannot avoid Australian Rules Football which features prominently with a particular focus on the Western Bulldogs AFL Club; the archetypal struggling club that perfectly fits the film's settings and characters.

2 comments:

  1. I asked a girlfriend to go see this with me and she declined saying it sounded too much like her life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, FletcherBeaver, a bit like my life too.

    ReplyDelete