Saturday 31 January 2009

Immune to violence?


Am I becoming immune to violence? I have never considered myself a violent person nor have I condoned violent actions by others.

I really enjoyed seeing the movie Slumdog Millionaire just before Christmas and although I was conscious that it depicted violent actions I was not concerned by those scenes. I was far more focused on the triumph of the main character against great obstacles and scarcely gave the violence a thought other than as a fascinating insight into the tribulations faced by some in a world so different from my own.

At first, feedback from friends was that they had enjoyed the film just as I had done. Now I have three unconnected friends who have commented how much they disliked the film because of its violence. One friend tells me she was traumatised by the film and another walked out of it early.

Isn't it interesting just how different people's perceptions can be of the one movie.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. Sure the violence was there, it is historically correct. But the main feeling I left the cinema with was jubilation at his ability to overcome extreme obstacles to find success.
    A great film, worthy of many awards.

    ReplyDelete