Monday 7 July 2008

Change ends please...


Is this the changing of the guard?

I sat down to watch the spectacle of the Wimbledon Men's Final at about 12.30am Sunday (Sydney time) with mixed emotions. Federer is such a magnificent champion and so superb to watch when in full flight so I was hoping he would make it six in a row. On the other hand, Nadal is also a wonderful player and gorgeous eye candy to boot and I knew his time had come.

When Federer was two sets down and 3-4 in the third set having just failed to convert any of a series of break points, I decided it was not to be his day and that I should switch off and get to sleep. I was sad at the thought of him losing.

I awoke as usual at 6.30am to the news that the match had ended only minutes earlier with Federer and Nadal fighting it out over five sets. I am glad I didn't watch it through. The highs and lows of the fluctuating fortunes would have been anxiety-inducing.

I'm sorry for Federer but Nadal is a deserving champion.

By the way, I don't understand how Nadal can play in those long shorts when he gets hot and sweaty. I would find the shorts irritating to wear in those conditions but then I am neither the champion, nor as cute as, Nadal is.

2 comments:

  1. Nadal should have been wearing speedos. I like him heaps. He pulls some really strange faces at times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't help but think of you and your comments you recently blogged about when it came to seeing "certain bodily parts" thanks to the white clothes the men wear. So during the whole match there were time s when I said, "I bet he eyed that and eyed that." Roger has some nice nipples too. I didn't catch the entire match so I recorded it. It was nice to FF through the mundane parts and to replay some of those 12-point tie-breakers. Definitely a great match. I wanted Federer to win, but Nadal is a lefty, so I was also pulling for him. I so agree with Nadal's shorts. They seemed to always get in the way. It was nice to see Nadal crfy when he won, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete