Thursday 3 April 2008

Collective nouns

It can be amusing to check out collective nouns. Some are bizarre.

A fleet of aircraft is pretty well known but I wasn't aware of a poverty of pipers. Not that I'd ever thought about pipers previously. Nor was I aware of a sedge or siege of bitterns. Come to think of it, I didn't know what bitterns were anyway. For those who might now be wondering, they are "any of several wading birds of the genera Botaurus and Ixobrychus, having mottled brownish plumage and a deep booming cry in the male". I think I have seen some gay men of this description late on Mardi Gras Parade night.

I got to thinking about what a collective noun for gay men could be. The first thought in my mind was an orgy of gays. Certainly that's a description appealing to me. I Googled collective nouns and to my surprise found there already is an apparently confirmed collective noun for us. We are a "village"! Not as exciting as being an orgy but somehow quite fitting.

I then decided to Google images for a "Village of Gays" and for some reason that I didn't fathom the following was one of the 121 options provided.


He doesn't seem too happy about the idea but I feel he is a fitting inclusion in the village. What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. I think he has just had his first male to male experience and he is saying, oh no, I really am gay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew: hehe, if only that were true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always thought it was a faggle of gays. That's why my friends always said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend managed to slip "Disco of Gays" into the wikipedia page for collective nouns for a few months. A do like faggle though.

    ReplyDelete