Thursday 13 March 2008

Maybe not such a sook!

OK maybe I'm not always the sook I stated yesterday.

After I posted that entry and photograph my thumb turned a ferocious purple and a big blood blister appeared. Its throbbing, tightness and itchiness kept me awake most of the night.

This morning the blister had this bulbous dome full of blood on the top. About 9am I reached into my pocket to answer my mobile phone and the blister burst leaving blood on my shorts' pocket. My first reaction was 'good, the blister has burst and my thumb should clear up now'. Instead my hand started to swell and turn red.

So it was off to the Doctor this afternoon who told me I had been bitten probably by a white tail spider and that my hand was now infected. He prescribed a course of antibiotics and prescription strength cortisone cream. He also warned that if the infection spreads I should take myself to Casualty where I would need to be placed on a drip and be infused with antibiotics that way.

This is my second spider bite in less than two years but I didn't make the connection because the last bite didn't produce the blood blister.

With Mum still in hospital, this is not the best time for me to be hospitalised too. I hope that doesn't become necessary. I called Hn and let her know of this as I will need her assistance with Mum should I be out of action.

2 comments:

  1. Ouch! I might watch horror movies, but spiders freak me right out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch is right. I don't mind spiders as long as I don't have to touch them...

    ReplyDelete