Saturday 29 March 2008

City chase

I went into town this beautiful Autumnal Saturday morning. Approaching the bus stop near home I noticed a group ahead of me wearing white caps and some sort of uniform running across the pedestrian crossing. At first I thought they may have been from a nearby school but I noticed more people in the streets dressed similarly as the bus travelled into town.

When I reached Circular Quay I came across still more 'runners' some being filmed by camera crews. I then came across this meeting point. It turns out these people were competing in something called City Chase.

Competitors reaching this point were being informed of their next challenges.
One challenge was to use the car below to punch a large soccer ball into the net. The first few I saw attempt that task achieved it easily and I began to think this was not much of a challenge. But then I saw three competitors in a row fail to net the ball.
Another challenge was for competitors to locate the D H Lawrence plaque in the nearby Writers Walk and make a note of the quotation embossed on it. The next photograph shows an official displaying a picture of the plaque. The picture contains instructions for the competitors and an official is pointing out these instructions to the competitor.
The last photo shows two competitors, who having located the D H Lawrence plaque, are recording the quotation as per the instructions.

By the way, did I mention that many of the competitors were male and looked very sexy and sweaty? Could that be why I spent so long watching the action?

2 comments:

  1. I was going to say that about the two men in the last picture. It looks like you had a great opportunity for some nice photo-ops. Looks like the weather was cooperative and made it a fun time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes I saw competitors at Centennial Park/ Ex-Fox Studios precinct. It looked like fun :)

    ReplyDelete