Thursday 21 June 2018

Hamer’s Hall

Hamer Hall is Melbourne’s impressive concert venue. Spread over multiple levels, four of them below street level, it can be a bit of a trap for the novice or the unwary. I was both these on my recent, first attendance there.


Arriving there early for a concert I ventured down various levels by escalator in search of a food outlet I assumed to be there from the evidence of others munching away in the foyer levels.

Four levels of escalators down I discovered a small sandwich selection on one of the bars. Having purchased some food I looked around in vain for an empty chair but all were taken. Go back up I thought but the question was how. I realised all the escalators were set to travel down. No escalator was travelling up.

There were stairs and so I trudged up one level at a time until I could find seat on the first level I started from. Not good for an almost septuagenarian! It was only when I got my breath back that I noticed the elevator in a corner.

By the way, at concert's end all the escalators were reset to travel up.

4 comments:

  1. You would think they would keep one set travelling up. I haven't been there for a long time. I hope it is holding up well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looked in good condition to me Andrew.

      Delete
  2. Nothing like a good cardiovascular workout before settling down to a concert performance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose so AdRad and I would need it too.

      Delete