Tuesday 8 May 2018

Faux pas


E has invited me to join her and friends for drinks to celebrate her forthcoming birthday. 'Is it a milestone birthday?' I enquired. 'Yes, it has an 0 at the end' E replied. 'Oh, so you will finally reach 40', I responded.

E reacted to this with what sounded like a hearty, genuine laugh. It was only an instant later I realised the risk of my comment. The fact is that I have no idea how old E is. No matter how you interpret my comment it casts doubt on what age I might imagine E to be and more sensitively what age I might think she looks to be.

I meant well - how many of us use that defence - and my intention was to be humorous. As someone rapidly approaching 70 myself, 40 seemed like a nice young age to hang my humour on but I may have miscalculated badly.

2 comments:

  1. I have been known to do exactly the same, but I always go for a younger age that is clearly wrong, just to be safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew as I started to speak I had in mind saying 20 but thought that was too ridiculous and in a split second change my embarrassment was sealed.

      Delete