Wednesday 2 May 2018

Blind MKR

(Seven Network Australia)
The amateur cooking competition My Kitchen Rules has been a ratings winner for the Seven Network for years. The series has been a masterclass in manipulation; both of the contestants and in editing thus ensuring clear 'goodies' and 'baddies' for audiences to align with or against.

Currently at the semi final stage of the 2018 series, the teams that have reached this point are being judged in so called 'blind tastings' suggesting a guaranteed impartiality of outcome. Six judges, mostly chefs, are the adjudicators.

Frankly speaking the judges would have to be much more than vision impaired to be truely in doubt as to who has cooked which dishes.

For a start, two of the judges, the regular hosts of the competition, actually watch the competitors preparing and cooking their meals. A third judge is an occasional participant host through the preliminary rounds and so is also familiar with the competitors by that stage.

In the first semi final two Italian brothers competed against two Vietnamese mothers. The three course meals the judges assessed were an Italian menu and a Vietnamese menu. Can you guess which team prepared which menu?

I thought so.

2 comments:

  1. I was thinking the same thing about the 'blind' tasting. I noticed the Asian dessert got criticised but I think it's suppose to be like that. Most western palates are not adapted for Asian desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't get me started on Asian desserts. Blog post in the offing. I half watch these shows, as R tunes in. The show to me seems scripted, well rehearsed and the shock horror moments, quite planned. It wouldn't surprise me if Vietnamese cooked Italian. Ah, R is recording the show grand final as I type. I will watch, with some interest.

    ReplyDelete