Saturday 7 October 2017

Cape of Good Hope, Funicular and Cape Point

(Retrospective Post)

It was quite cold and very windy at the Cape of Good Hope and nearby Cape Point. Both locations were photo opportunities for the hundreds of visitors scrambling for best locations.

Cape of Good Hope
The photo above gives no indication of the numbers present. The signage just visible mid-right read

Cape of Good Hope
The most South-Western point of the African Continent

34' 21' 25" South
18' 28' 26" East


It was almost impossible to secure a photograph alongside the signage without being photobombed by hordes of strangers.

Just around the corner from the Cape of Good Hope is Cape Point which I think is the southern most spot and also, I think, the metaphorical place where the Atlantic and Indian Oceans meet. I'd read numerous times that there is quite a visible difference between the two oceans at that spot but if there is truth in that notion it wasn't evident to me on this day. Perhaps it was just too stormy. I would imagine though that such stormy days and worse would be very common.

Above Cape Point
Looking back at Cape of Good Hope from Cape Point

Travel to and from the top of Cape Point can be effected by foot for the fit and/or foolhardy but I joined the masses in taking the Funicular up and down. The Funicular journey is about three minutes each way.

I had hoped to take some good photos of and from the Funicular, particularly for Andrew's benefit, but the photography circumstances were just as difficult as getting a clear go at the Cape of Good Hope sign. This is the best I could manage.


Heading up
The passing section
Coming down
The passing section
Entering the bottom station

1 comment:

  1. I do like me a good funicular, thank you. Interesting name, The Flying Dutchman.

    ReplyDelete