Thursday 22 December 2016

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story


I haven't seen every film in the Star Wars series but I have seen most of them. I enjoyed the first film, now 'rebadged' somewhat pretentiously as 'Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope' but none of the following films had the same impact on me. I've gradually become bored by the 'good conquers evil after a dire battle' unchanging template for plots. What interest remained for me related to the evolving and increasingly impressive computerised special effects.

So now we have 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story'. Same template and similar characters. The first half was more of the same ho hum for me but then in the final 40 minutes or so something happened. The film moved out of the darkness and shadows of most of its predecessors into the sunlight and daylight of something akin to a tropical island. It was a revelation and it brought me to life. It was the most enjoyable spell of Star Wars viewing for me since the original film.

Oh, and the plot you ask? Something about stealing the plans for the Death Star. Doesn't really matter though, does it?

★★★1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment