Monday 4 January 2016

Star Wars: The Force Awakens


I saw 'Star Wars' (as it was then titled before it later became 'Star Wars' Episode 4 - A New Hope') in 1977 whilst in Hong Kong where the English language soundtrack was drowned out by the noise of a raucous local audience who had no need for it as they read the Chinese sub titles. Consequently I had only a vague idea of what was happening based on the visuals. It didn't matter as I enjoyed the visuals and the general notion of good versus evil came across well enough.

I never saw the subsequent prequel and sequel episodes produced in the intervening years.

And now we have 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens'. I couldn't resist the marketing 'force'.

Its the same basic plot as that first episode, seven films ago. I suspect all seven films follow the same template. Good struggles against evil and the odds until eventually triumphing.

The technical images are still stellar, the weird characters still weird and as oddly adorable as before and  the explosions are as fiery as ever. The film, as up to date as it is, delivers much of its subtle pleasure from techniques common in 1940/50s B-grade cliff hangers.

For the casual viewer of the franchise like myself it is a bit ho hum.

★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment