Friday 5 June 2015

Would you like a heart attack with that?

First off, some admissions. I periodically succumb to fast food options. I am overweight; albeit not morbidly so. I am active but could (should) do more in the way of exercise.

Notwithstanding the above, I am the pot that is going to call four young kettles black.

Yesterday I was at a certain fast food establishment. I won't name it but you will recognise it as;


There was one queue and it was blocked by the extensive meal orders of four school students. I don't know what they were ordering nor the quantities but their order was taking so long that a second queue was opened for everyone else.

These student are Pacific Islanders. They would be no older than about 15 or 16 at the most and they are huge. I mean really huge. The 'boy' is taller than me. I am about 182cm. He would weigh 140 kilos plus. The three 'girls' are shorter than me but not by very much. Each of them would weigh 110 kilos plus.

I assume they have not yet grown to their full adult builds. How big will they be when they achieve their full adult builds?

With my own bad habits I'm not in a strong position to criticise but at almost 66 I am in pretty reasonable health.

Do the four students I saw yesterday have a reasonable prospect of reaching 66? I fear not. At their age I was a tall, skinny lad weighing about 60 kilos. At 18 I actually failed the medical for a Government job for being underweight! Maybe these four have medical conditions that account for their size but otherwise I am sad for their future.

2 comments:

  1. 60 kg? What a fatty you were. I was only 55 at that age. As I recently wrote, the food young people eat is of great concern. Maori and Islanders are often of a big build and they do have a much lower age of death, but this could be partly attributed to lifestyle aside from diet. Nevertheless, your point is sound. As has been suggested, this could be the first generation that does not live as long as their parents, in spite of the prolific smoking in the mid twentieth century.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew, I just can't imagine these four living long lives.

      Delete