Tuesday 3 February 2015

They've got my number.....


My monthly credit card statement arrived yesterday. As always I scanned it for any irregularities and there it was. At the very end of the statement. Seven items that screamed out 'these are not mine'. Seven 'services' amounting to almost $500. Someone has used my credit card number. Not the card itself. That is in my possession. A clone card maybe. My numbers at the very least.

Within five minutes of opening the statement I was on the phone to my bank provider. The unwelcome news was that these irregular items are continuing into next month's statement currently accruing at the bank.

I've tried to think at what point my card might have been compromised but I can't readily identify one. There are some oddities about the rogue transactions one of which may involve New York. If you are thinking of visiting there - I'm looking at you, Andrew - be careful.

The card has been 'stopped'. Disputed transaction forms have been emailed to me, printed, completed, scanned and emailed back to the bank. A new card with a new number will be despatched.

It is all rather annoying.

4 comments:

  1. Victor, it has happened to me before. Yes, it is annoying. Although it took a while for the money to be refunded, it was and I did not have to get a new card. I think I may have had to challenge the bank over interest though. It would be funny, well not really funny, if it happened to us in the US when nothing went wrong in a European country full of gypsies and very poor people. Apart from securing your card on your person and not letting it out of your sight, what else can you do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These 'Tap and Go' type cards are open to all manner of abuse, Andrew.

      Delete
  2. What an uncomfortable situation and dangerous one..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Gosia, I felt sick to my stomach initially but I know it will be resolved. I just hope at no expense to me.

      Delete