Saturday 17 January 2015

Impulse buying

My good friend Mt is a very careful shopper. She cannot purchase a pair of shoes for walking the dog without first researching the internet, visiting shoe shops in three cities and trying shoes on for fit and comfort for hours on end. I admire her thoroughness but am also bemused that despite all this effort she sometimes is dissatisfied by her eventual purchase. Mt put just that sort of effort into buying her first car for 17 years - a demonstration car - and then traded it in for another a few months later.

I, on the other hand, am different. Very different actually. Yesterday was an example.

I went into town to have a $10 super zero buzzcut and (figuratively) came home with a $4,750 lounge suite. It will be delivered on 6 March. I saw a sofa and two armchairs in a furniture store. I handed over a plastic card and said 'send me one set please' and that was that. No research. Very few thought processes.

The sofa looks like this;


and the two armchairs are similar.

I think that's called impulse buying.

4 comments:

  1. Much to my partner's frustration, I am a much more um and ah person and often miss a bargain. So what are doing with your old suite? Dump it on the construction site next door since you don't have a verandah?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The existing suite will eventually go to charity if they will have it. The suite is still in good condition.

      Delete
  2. Nathan is more prone to the impulse purchases...which explains how we ended up walking home with a 2 meter tall vintage Commonwealth State Bank sign last weekend.

    Your new couch looks very nice. I like the simple clean lines. Should age well.

    ReplyDelete