Saturday 3 January 2015

I want to be alone...

Sometimes I 'get' Greta Garbo, the Swedish actress who in her later reclusive years of retirement in the USA yearned to be left alone. Well, that's the mythology anyway.

Greta Garbo

After years of solo living, a week like last week in the 24/7 presence of three house guests can be fun and tiring at the same time but afterwards it is oh so nice to just be solo again. I was going to take myself out during the day but as the hours passed by I knew I would remain home and so it transpired.

I did do some housework and even cleared some paperwork. I did take shower - eventually - but otherwise I spent the day in a nightshirt being a real lazy bones.

I 'vanted' to be alone.

4 comments:

  1. Once you reach a certain age, perhaps in your late thirties and you live alone, I think it would be very hard to adjust to living with someone, that is to have someone around all the time. After 35 years, R and myself almost live alone together. Another guest in our home is as you describe having guests. Lovely of course and worth the effort, but tiring and disturbing. Together, we are as 'selfish' as a single person alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew, I enjoy the anticipation of an impending visit as much as I am relieved by the eventual departure.

      Delete
  2. Alone time is precious. I enjoy being alone, perhaps because I grew up the eldest of eight children and being alone was always difficult. I've also been partnered for over thirty years, so I don't really know what it's like to be on my own for any length of time. So, what's the point of my comment? Damned if I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed the journey of your comment, wcs, even if it ended in a cul de sac!

      Delete