Thursday 3 October 2013

The collection

The three monthly council domestic household collection occurred on Monday. I left a portable analogue television for collection; one that I inherited from the vendors from whom I purchased my apartment. The old television is barely useable - and will not be useable when the analogue signal is switched off at the end of the year.

I expected the television to be taken quickly by scavengers ahead of the actual collection by someone who would see in it prospects for reuse or cannibalisation or resale. Sure enough several hours later this guy had opened it on the verge of the footpath and was working away at the old unit's innards.


4 comments:

  1. It's good to be able to get rid of stuff that's taking up space. Our annual collect is this month and we're looking forward to getting some old junk out of the yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Walt, the collection is a great opportunity for culling unused items.

      Delete
  2. Analogue tvs stay on nature strips here when put out for collection until collected by the proper collectors. I wasn't aware there was much in them of any value.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew, it occurred to me after I took the television down that it was considered 'white goods' and was not to be collected with the general disposal collection but the fact is the television was gone with all the rest the next morning.

      Delete