Friday 18 October 2013

Thanks for Sharing


Ok, let me get one thing straight at the outset. 'Thanks for Sharing' presents one of the most extreme disconnects between its trailer and the actual film that I can recall. The trailer suggested to me a romantic comedy and interestingly the IMDb website describes the film with the same words. Having now seen the film I categorically state my opinion that it is neither romantic nor a comedy.

The plot concerns four members of a support group for sex addicts and their struggles to achieve 'normality' in their familial and social relationships.

I'm not certain what the purpose of the film is. It is not an entertainment as there isn't much that is 'entertaining' about it. It is not a self help guide as the characters all struggle, mostly without obvious signs of success, to overcome their difficulties. Nor is it much of an encouragement to viewers suffering addictions who could easily be discouraged by the difficulties the characters experience.

Nevertheless the film is not without merit as an interesting study of people struggling with addictive personalities, issues of trust and that perennial soap opera feature, failure to communicate.

The ensemble cast is in good form with Alecia Moore ('Pink') a delight. As always I am very impressed by her.

★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment