Sunday 11 August 2013

City to Surf 2013

The 43rd (I think) running of the City to Surf occurred this morning. The first race in 1971 attracted 2,000 competitors - entrants might be a better word - and this year's event drew 85,000 entrants. The course of about 14 kilometres runs from Hyde Park in the city to Bondi Beach. It passes through Edgecliff, where I live, which provides the first of several steep hills.

The entrants start at staggered times according to their entry category. The elite entrants take just over 40 minutes to complete the course. The social entrants and casual walkers take many hours. Streets surrounding the course are closed for around six hours. Here are snaps from this morning taken down the road from my home. Click on individual photos to enlarge.

Leading runners in the Elite Category
Runners in the pack of the Red Category
One Spiderman, of many
More talent in the Red Category
Make Your Body Sing downhill to Double Bay
The Blue Category
A runner stops to greet his family
Home loans on the run

4 comments:

  1. I knew you would be out there with a camera. Now let me examine the photos to see what you captured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the best bits flashed by before I could point my camera, Andrew.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a great event. Where can I apply for a mortgage please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point Craig, the fun run route does pass along some expensive real estate.

      Delete