Thursday 25 July 2013

'With hope in your heart'*

(* 'You'll never walk alone' from 'Carousel' by Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein 11)

I'm a gay man who loves musicals and watching sport. So what could move me more than one of the great tear-jerker Rodgers and Hammerstein songs sung by a huge crowd at an iconic stadium? I was playing bridge last night and so missed seeing live on television the second major soccer friendly played in Australia in the past five days, this time between Liverpool FC and Melbourne Victory FC.

Before kick off the 95,446 crowd sang the famous Liverpool FC anthem; the song 'You'll Never Walk Alone' which originates from the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical 'Carousel'. I've only seen the You Tube clip of  the rendition. I know it has been circulated widely but I just feel the need to post it here too.

Even if you don't like musicals or sport you'd have to have ice running through your veins not to find the moment at least a little bit goose bump inducing. I love it.

1 comment:

  1. Sadly, the video isn't working Victor. But it's a true anthem, I agree. Certainly better than West Ham's "I'm forever blowing bubbles"!

    ReplyDelete