Sunday 23 June 2013

Ahhh, but it's cold outside*

(* 'Baby It's Cold Outside' by Frank Loesser)

Yesterday was cold and wet and on my way back from the movies I decided to call into Coles Supermarket at Westfield Bondi Junction. This was an ambitious intention as I know from experience that it can be very difficult to find a parking spot in the centre on any Saturday afternoon and especially so if it is wet. And yesterday was very wet.

As I pulled up at one of the numerous car park entrances - there are at least five that I know of - the electronic sign indicated there were 52 spots available. Now, that effectively means that the carp park is full. To explain, when I arrive at the centre before 10am on a weekday the signs indicate there are 1700 and more spots available. So 52 is a very small number indeed. I should have moved on but against my inner judgement I entered the centre and spent the next 30 minutes in a slow crawl, as part on an unending line of cars, trawling the multi stories facility for a vacant spot or one about to be vacated. It was useless and I joined another slow crawl of endless cars queued to exit the centre from one of the equally numerous exits.

I drove on to my local Coles Supermarket at Edgecliff which is where I should have headed in the first place. The thing is my local Coles has greatly reduced its range of products in recent years making the two outlets at Bondi Junction with their much greater range a more attractive proposition. I only wanted bread and some fresh bread rolls - or as recent news revealed - 'faux fresh bread rolls from Ireland' - and as I expected the loaf was available at Edgecliff but not the rolls.

And so to today with a forecast of heavy rain today and tomorrow, as if yesterday's rain was not sufficient.

It was only 10.5Âșc this morning, a temperature which may equate to summer in some parts of the world but for us Sydneysiders is pretty cold. Yes it is winter and we should expect cold but, well, it's cold and I prefer warm.

It rained this morning steadily and almost heavily but not quite. The weather and news reports all inform us breathlessly of a massive storm heading for Sydney but it hasn't quite happened. Maybe it still will or maybe the predictions are off the mark. It is even sunny at this moment but with lots of low, dark cloud about the promised heavy rain may yet eventuate.

For the moment the heaviest rain seems to be off the coast as per this recent radar scan;


So I'm taking advantage of the lull and off to shop some more today - at Edgecliff, of course - before the rain returns.

No comments:

Post a Comment