Wednesday 12 December 2012

From Little Things Big Things Grow

Brrring, brrring..........

It's Mt on the phone from Ballina. Did I see that The Seekers are performing a concert in Sydney in May? Would I like to go? (The unspoken subtext is, if we go to the concert Mt will stay with me whilst she is in Sydney.)

Yes, I'm happy to go. Mt will book tickets.

Brrring, brrring an hour later........

It's Mt on the phone from Ballina again. She has just spoken to Ll in Brisbane. Ll would like to go to the concert too. Is that OK? (The unspoken subtext is, if Ll comes to the concert she will also stay with me whilst she is in Sydney.)

Ll's husband Fd will not be coming. (The unspoken subtext is I will only need to accommodate Mt and Ll.)

Brrring, brrring another hour later..........

It's Mt on the phone from Ballina yet again. Ll's birthday is only a week after the concert and she is turning 60. Fd has decided he will come after all. (The unspoken subtext is I will need to accommodate Mt, Ll and Fd.) That's fine I reply.

Oh, Mt adds, that means it will be an official birthday get together weekend now. We have two of these each year for this circle of friends. That means (very loudly spoken subtext) that Ll's sister Rs and her husband Gg will now also attend. (The very silent, unspoken, subtext now becomes that I will have to accommodate Mt, Ll, Fd, Rs and Gg.) No problems I respond, feeling slightly faint.

Anyone else out there who would like to join in?

These are The Seekers that we think we will see.....


These are The Seekers that we will see....


6 comments:

  1. Count me in. Bags the room with the view. Myra, Myra, many boats in the harbour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Might as well, Andrew, everyone else is coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though I am an anonymous, yet wonderful man that you don't know from Adam and seeing as you seem to be an easy target for manipulation, I will come as the star of the group but with expectations that each day I spend with you, (in your bed while you sleep on the couch), I will expect breakfast in bed, a substantial lunch and a twelve course dinner each night.

    I dare you to say to me online, what you would really like to say:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous; expectations are free.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Nicely Done." He says, grinning broadly.

    ReplyDelete