Sunday 15 April 2012

Titanic 3D


One hundred years ago at this very moment (2.20am) the RMS Titanic sank on its maiden voyage. The unsinkable Titanic did the unthinkable.

The story has been a fascination for millions in the century since. Numerous films have been made about this subject; none probably bigger than James Cameron's 1997 epic 'Titanic' which has gone on to gross nearly $2 billion dollars worldwide and is one of only three films to have won 11 Academy Awards.

I first saw 'Titanic' on its release in 1997 and again a few years later on television. At three and a half hours it is a very long film yet did not seem excessively long to me on viewing. I have seen many films less than two hours in length which have seemed interminable by comparison. I suspect one reason why the film's length did not worry me is its structure. In some ways 'Titanic' is three films in one. The first phase is a preamble of about half an hour covering the search for relics from the sunken vessel which also introduces a key character. Phase two of about one and a half hours is the romantic drama of its main characters. At about the two hours mark the iceberg everyone has been waiting for finally emerges signalling phase three, another hour and a half, which is the demise and sinking of the vessel.

Fifteen years later and with the centenary of the real events upon us, Cameron has re-released the film adjusted to the 3D format. Trailers for the re-release appeared a few months ago and looked so flashy I decided I would take a look. That proved easier thought about than done. Three times in the past fortnight I set off to see the 3D version and three times I bailed out at the last moment fearing that this time I would find the three and a half hours length too much to bear.

However, I have had it drummed into me to 'never give up' and so for a fourth time I took myself off to the cinema and despite almost bailing out yet again I did end up seeing 'Titanic 3D'.

So how did I find it this time around? Well, Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet look very young. The film still impresses technically which is no mean feat considering how much cinema making technology has advanced in the fifteen years which have elapsed. The film's three and a half hours length once again was not an issue.

Was it worth seeing again bearing in mind that my only reason for seeing it now was to enjoy the 3D effects? Well, the 3D format is pleasant enough during the first two hours but it is nothing out of the ordinary. Still, I was a bit excited at the expectation the 3D effects would really lift once the iceberg appeared and the ship started to sink. To my surprise, the 3D format is barely noticeable in that final one and a half hour phase.

So, if you liked the film and want to see it again just for that reason or if you have never seen the film and want to enjoy an above average cinema entertainment, then by all means go along. But if you want to see it for terrific 3D effects then I suggest you keep your expectations low.

1 comment:

  1. I've only seen that movie on DVD. I enjoyed it, but mostly because of the last hour and half. I found the romance a bit unbelievable and not very interesting. But that's me. And the technical effects, while very good, still struck me as a bit fakey.

    ReplyDelete