Tuesday 20 March 2012

Topical maths

or what the dentist did to me.

I'm not one to take much notice of invoices unlike some friends who scrutinise and question every line of their bills and receipts. So it was a bit of an education for me when I decided to read my dentist's statement of services claimed from my health fund for my routine check up this morning.


The dentist charged $235 for a ten minute check up of which $196 has been approved to be paid by my health insurer. I had to pay $39 to make up the 'gap'.

The examination, a minute or so of poking around my teeth, cost $44.50.

Two X Rays, a minute of action at best and less than another minute of scrutinising the scans, cost $33.00 each.

Removing calculus, a couple of minutes of scraping, cost $95.50. Until now I only knew of calculus as a mathematical process but apparently it also is the term for hardened plaque.

Finally a 'topical agent' cost $29.00. I had no idea what this was until I did a Google check and learnt it is an 'antiinfective' applied to a localised area. That must be the fluoride the dentist applied to my teeth at the end of the check up, another minute of activity.

All in all not a great burden on my wallet and I have to admit one of my less disconcerting dental visits.

No comments:

Post a Comment