Thursday 29 March 2012

Chandelier and fireworks


An outdoor season of the opera La Traviata is currently underway in Sydney. A stage has been constructed on Sydney Harbour itself with the audience seated on the foreshore at Mrs Macquarie's Chair. A massive chandelier (9 metres x 9 metres) studded with more than 10,000 Swarovski crystals hangs over the stage.

All this is being staged a couple of kilometres from where I live as the crow flies. Every evening at 7.45pm a short but brilliant fireworks display lights up the view from my home (and sends a few sonic booms my way too). This display I believe marks the commencement of the performance. Then at around 10.20pm there is a second, smaller display which I guess marks the conclusion of the performance.

This photograph downloaded from the net is of the chandelier being put into place before the season commenced.


No comments:

Post a Comment