Thursday 9 February 2012

The Artist


A modern day silent movie about the transition from the silent movie era to the introduction of 'talkies' in the late 1920s.

About five minutes into 'The Artist' I wondered whether I could sit through two hours of silent pictures but my fears were unfounded. This is a charming easy to follow movie. It is packed with cliches from earlier days of the movies. These don't detract from the film, rather they pay tribute to the industry.

Jean Dujardin is a charismatic leading man as befits his screen character and his leading lady Berenice Bejo is startlingly impressive in her first ever acting role.

It was a bit weird sitting in a cinema with no sound other than music in the auditorium. It certainly demonstrated for me how much noise, sound effects etc we have become accustomed to and which aside from the dialogue and music we scarcely notice in modern movies.

2 comments:

  1. I saw this yesterday and loved it... which totally surprised me.

    There was a gentle in the theatre who read out every piece of "Dialogue" that appeared on the screen. Rather annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The film was very engaging Ben and I can imagine that your audience member would have been very irritating.

    ReplyDelete