Tuesday 3 January 2012

Pelicans at Woody Point

On Boxing Day Mt drove me down to Woody Point on Bramble Bay in Brisbane so that I could photograph pelicans and some of the local landscape for her. Mt's 60th birthday present, at her request, is a commissioned painting of pelicans and the artist she commissioned to create the work asked for photos to be provided. It's an image that will provide memories of Mt's childhood at the Brisbane seaside suburb of Redcliffe.

Staff at the local information centre feed the pelicans at 10 o'clock each morning so Mt asked me to accompany her with camera in hand to capture images to assist the artist.

The Information Centre located at the aptly named Pelican Park
I switched my camera to the 'sport' setting which captures photographs at machine gun like pace. A small group of pelicans landed near the information centre right on cue and although the feeding was over in a matter of minutes I managed to gather around 500 photos. Here are just a couple.

Feeding gets underway
Pausing for breath
'Next course, please!'

Afterwards, Mt rewarded my exertions with a couple of drinks at the nearby Belvedere Hotel.

Belvedere Hotel

3 comments:

  1. I am surprised there are not a lot more turning up for free food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to go there every Sunday arvo for drinkies. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew - we were told numbers have dropped since new light towers that the pelicans cannot rest on were installed at nearby bridges.

    Sunshine, so it must be a class place, Eddy!

    ReplyDelete