Wednesday 7 December 2011

'No Man's Land'


(Sydney Theatre Company)

Two men share a drink and chat in a lavish library in the home of one of them. It appears they have met each other for the first time in a local pub that evening. But have they? As their conversation continues it seems they may have connected pasts. But have they? Their conversation suggests that one or both may be gay? Or are they? Maybe they are straight? Maybe they are bisexual?

The host has two younger male companions. Or are they carers? Are the younger men friendly or malevolent?

Harold Pinter's 'No Man's Land' was created as a star vehicle for the fine British actors John Gielgud and Ralph Richardson (both now deceased) so the play is packed with dense and showy dialogue. Two equivalent long serving senior actors of the Australian stage, Peter Carroll and John Gaden provide the flourishes in this production.

The STC's program notes indicate the play is about 'making stuff up and the slipperiness of memory'. That helps explain why I wasn't really sure just what I had seen as I departed the theatre. Mk was similarly perplexed. But it was an entertaining night watching two fine, experienced performers using their skills and wiles to the extract the most from the heady script. The two younger actors were pretty good too.

2 comments:

  1. I hope the set decorator managed the 'lavish' library well.
    casting my mind back to the sixties I seem to recall thinking Peter Carroll was quite gorgeous looking.
    Loved reading the Gielgud autobiog and never mind if there was any 'slipperyness' about the 'facts' presented. I absolutely adore him for the delivery of his butler line to Dudley's bathing Arthur in the eponymous film:
    "do you want me to wash your dick you little shit"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marshall; It is interesting that you should mention Gielgud and 'Arthur'. Although I am a prolific cinema goer I had never seen that movie until just a couple of weeks ago when I watched it on on my iPod during a flight to Noosa. I have not laughed so much in years as I did whenever Gielgud delivered his tart lines in that film. I'm sure my neighbour passengers wondered what loon they were sitting beside.

    ReplyDelete