Tuesday 23 November 2010

Uncle Vanya

The second last play in this year's Sydney Theatre Company's subscription series is Anton Chekov's 'Uncle Vanya'.

It is the first time I have seen this renowned play and I suppose it is a reflection of the philistine in me that watching it I wondered just what qualities it contains that has enabled it to endure internationally for 110 years. That doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy the play; I did, but it seems an unremarkable work to me. I read that the play is often presented very seriously with the comic elements suppressed. Listening closely to the dialogue last night I thought the play must come across as rather melodramatic when presented that way. I was glad that in this adaptation the humour in the piece was evident.

The selling point of this production is the casting. The ensemble contains a who's who of Australian acting royalty with Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving, Richard Roxburgh, John Bell and Jacki Weaver all featuring. Understandably with a cast like that the acting is outstanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment