Tuesday 7 September 2010

Tomorrow, When The War Began

I must confess that I was not familiar with the name John Marsden let alone his books which publicity in connection with 'Tomorrow, When The War Began' informs me have been best sellers and so I have no idea whether the film is faithful to the related book.

A group of seven teenagers from a small rural town make a camping trip over the Australia Day weekend and on their return find their homes deserted and electricity and communications systems shut down. They soon discover that a foreign force has taken control and as a group the teenagers begin a resistance.

The film contains a mix of stereotypes; for example, the camping group comprises conveniently diverse characters whilst the invaders are visibly 'different' and cruel.

The production is slick and on images alone could easily have been the product of the Hollywood system. I did like how the film is unabashedly Australian. The flag flutters strongly in various scenes and the country images are typically Australian too. Aussie accents abound, indeed Colin Friels in a small supporting role seems to have stretched his accent close to snapping point.

The film moves along at a snappy pace and maintained my interest throughout. I enjoyed it more than I was expecting although it was somewhat alarming to contemplate that Australia might be as easily and totally overrun as portrayed here. The ending (or rather non ending) clearly is designed to easily allow for sequels.

1 comment:

  1. I have read the first two books of the series and they are great - tho given they are pitched more at teenagers I petered out at that juncture. I hope to see the movie this weekend. Tom in Bondi

    ReplyDelete