Tuesday 3 November 2009

Shocking upset

All Australians know that 'the race that stops the nation' occurs on the first Tuesday of November and this year's winner of the Cup for doggies owned by staff of the hospital is Milly, the King Charles Spaniel.

A Milly lookalike.

The heats and final were watched by an ecstatic crowd of dozens on the manicured corridors of the hospital. Our personal favourites were the two doggies, of indeterminate lineage and even lesser known breeding, owned by our own Je. They finished second in their respective heats and thus failed to qualify for the final.

Milly's win was controversial in that her owner organised the races. It is suspected that clandestine training occurred in the dead of night on the race corridor.

In another race that stopped the nation run a sort time later, the 2009 Melbourne Cup, a small gathering of over 100,000 assembled to see their race won by 'Shocking'.


'Shocking' wins that other race.

5 comments:

  1. Awwwww...cute doggie... :) Me want cute doggie.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehe, I was also going to comment on the puppies cute factor :)

    Victor, are you still reading The Slap? How is it? I quite like Tsiolkas' books and am keen to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evol - I'm enjoying The Slap so far although am a little taken aback by the frank nature of some of the writing. I'm still in the early stages as I tend to read small snippets a week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the sound of your race better than 'the race' I reckon I could get into that.

    Funny you should mention The Slap too, I know a couple of people who've embarked upon it, and it's aroused my interest, let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete