Saturday 15 August 2009

White laces


As if I hadn't spent enough money this week I continued my unplanned shopping spree today by ducking into the Bondi Junction mega centre and picking up some new pants.

Just as an aside why was the centre so packed today? Why weren't we all outside enjoying the fantastic winter's day weather? After all the temperatures today are in the low 20s - around 70 Fahrenheit - ahead of a summery 30 - around 86 Fahrenheit - tomorrow, would you believe.

Well my excuse is that I tend to stupidity but what was the excuse of the others?

Anyway, having wasted another couple of hundred dollars I then sought out my final and cheapest purchase of the week; a pair of white shoe laces. I had noticed that one of my current laces in my white sneakers is showing signs of fraying and I didn't want to be caught out with them snapping whilst I was out and about somewhere.

I picked up a pair in the Bondi Junction Mall. Once home I pulled the laces out of my sneakers to replace them with the newly purchased pair only to discover and be surprised that there is virtually nothing wrong with the current laces. Certainly they look nowhere near being in danger of snapping. Their apparently frayed condition is an optical illusion.

Never mind, I thought, I'll replace them with the new pair anyway except that when I attempted to do so I found the new laces were not only a fraction too thick to comfortably fit through the eye holes but the bound bit at the end (whatever the technical name for it is) was too short to be threaded through a crucial thingamijig which holds the sneaker together.

So my cheapest purchase has proved to be the biggest dud. Go figure!

Anyone want a pair of barely used 120cm long white shoe laces?

5 comments:

  1. It's called an aglet. You're welcome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wcs - thanks. Now all I need to know is what the 'thingamijig' is called!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps something else needs to be bought? New spectacles for lace checking?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrew - actually it has been a while since I updated my optical prescription.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I rarely have my laces wear out before my shoes do.

    ReplyDelete