Friday 28 August 2009

"Seven miles from Sydney...

...and a thousand miles from care" was the slogan used to promote the Manly Ferry service in my youth.

The half hour long journey from the City ferry terminus at Circular Quay to the seaside suburb of Manly is delightful. Manly is beautifully positioned between the eastern edge of Sydney Harbour and the western edge of an endless vista of the Pacific Ocean.

My and I made the journey yesterday on a sparkling winter's day to be met by Me for lunch.


We crossed on the Freshwater and on arrival wandered around to the Manly 16ft Sailing Club overlooking the Manly harbour side for a long lunch.


We picked a good table on the back deck (above) where My and Me both selected the healthy option of John Dory and salad whilst as usual I selected the least healthy option of Chicken Parmigiana.



I took a break from the gossip exchange late in the afternoon to capture the panorama from the deck. It was calm with a gentle breeze which my camera audio makes sound far louder than what we were hearing for ourselves.

As we walked back around to the wharf for the return ferry journey My and I wondered yet again why we don't visit there more often. Even just a half day visit on a leisurely weekday is rejuvenating.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Looks like a very nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm willing to try anything with MANLY in it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spent 2 weeks at a mates place 2 blocks back from Manly beach. Best few days I have ever spent in Sydney. Does the hydrofoil still run ?? Your video work does you proud by the way, steady hand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wcs - it was a beautiful day.

    Mark - I know what you mean.

    Wallaby - thanks. The Government scrapped the hydrofoil a few months ago and a private company has replaced it with a fast service but I still prefer the ferry service.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Manly is one of my favourite places in Sydney.

    ReplyDelete