Sunday 17 May 2009

Angels & Demons


Dan Brown's novel, The Da Vinci Code, was an international bestseller which Ron Howard somehow managed to turn into a dull movie.

Now Howard has had another go at a Brown novel, Angels & Demons. Whereas I had read Da Vinci Code, I haven't read Angels and therefore have no basis for comparison as to how well he has adapted Brown's novel.

In Angels & Demons the Pope has died and the College of Cardinals is gathering to elect a successor. During this period of mourning and the interregnum, an ancient rebellious religious group has resurfaced and is threatening to kill off Cardinals and the future of the Church itself.

None other than Ewan McGregor is effectively Acting Pope in the mean time. The thought of McGregor, with his extensive body of naked work in movies, as the principal Fisher of Men is gob smacking but I heartily approve.

Who better to call on to hunt the group down than Tom Hanks? Hanks' uncanny ability to find crucial street gratings and floor murals in this movie, even under the feet of thousands crowding St Peters Square, is truly jaw-dropping.

It seemed to me that Howard has improved on his effort with Da Vinci producing a more exciting and energetic work this time but it is weighed down by its increasing implausibility the longer it runs.

At least there are plenty of scenic views of Rome, its side streets and monumental buildings.

5 comments:

  1. Everyone who has read Angels & Demons tells me it is sooo much better than Da Vinci Code. I hope it's the same for the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Da Vinci Code was one of the few books I have thrown across the room in disgust - one dimensional, cardboard cutout characters, totally ludicrous plot, appalling grammar So I didn't watch the movie, wont be bothered seeing this one either. But I agree with you on Startrek, that is a good B grade movie...

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't read DVC either. But I did see the movie. It did nothing for me. Nor did it improve my impression of Tom Hanks.

    Yawn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this yesterday too. The movie differs significantly from the book, and for the worse in my opinion. And if you thought the movie was unbelievable the book has even more outlandish foibles in it! I like reading a good piece of trashy writing every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't agree with you more...or every single point.
    Anyway, I paid my money just for Ewan. :)

    ReplyDelete