Tuesday 24 March 2009

Open a new window...


...as my Auntie Mame might have sung.

This spectacular photograph is of a window in my dining room. If you look closely you will see that the bottom edge of the top half is overlapping the top edge of the bottom half. My apologies for using highly technical window language but I do like to be precise.

Well, for reasons unknown and in just the past couple of days I noticed this window no longer closes properly. It falls just short of closing at the top and at the bottom and the problem as my highly technical mind has divined is that the two bits (very technical terminology) of the window are sticking in the middle and nothing that I have tried so far has prised them apart.

And I have tried. I've poked around with the ends of brooms, curtain rods and the full force of my bare hands but nothing has separated them. It looks like yet again I have to turn to a repairman to do something that others handle as a hobby.

9 comments:

  1. Alarming. The building has moved or twisted. Body corp should pay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same kind of window in my office at work and had a similar problem. In my case, it was because the top window pane had subsided. The repair guy came over and tapped it back up with a broom handle and the problem was fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the upside, you could end up with some eye candy in your dining room?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Evol's right. Consider it an opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect opportunity to get a man in. Lovely. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrew - yes, it is a Body Corporate responsibility.

    Ad Rad - he must have a stronger broom than I.

    Evol/wcs/travelling - Thanks for thinking of my love life. It never happens that way for me but I live in hope.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing is caught in the upper or lower tracks of the window to prevent it from closing properly (rocks, pebbles, diamonds)? And despite this situation, the windows move up and down freely indicating that they are literally on track?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you have other windows of the same size? Try interchanging glass panes from other windows.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmmm...its true, most people don't have a clue...is the window wooden, then its swollen, probably from high humidity (or whatever the weather is like in Sydney) - get a hair dryer, GENTLY warm the place where they jam - be careful or you will crack the glass, take your time, even over a few days. Wood should dry out enough to close...

    Michael.

    ReplyDelete