Saturday 28 February 2009

They're back


Those National Rugby League footballers are back for another season of charge and biff.

I went out tonight to see one of the traditional pre-season matches, the Charity Shield, played annually between the St George Illawarra Dragons and the South Sydney Sydney Rabbitohs. St George Illawarra is an amalgamation of two clubs one of which, St George, has a proud history of success although not in recent seasons. South Sydney has an even prouder history having won 20 Premierships (Championships), the most of any club, but none for the past thirty-eight years.


Since Russell Crowe became part owner of South Sydney (the Rabbitohs) several years ago there have been many false dawns of success none of them fully realised and once again hope is high for the new season. Similarly there are high expectations for the Dragons who have acquired 'super' coach Wayne Bennett this season.

An even tussle in the first half saw the two teams 6-6 at half time but the Rabbitohs asserted a superiority in the second half to end up 18-6 winners.

As usual I kept one eye on the action on the field and the other closely on the 'talent' in the stands. Overall the talent beat the action in my eyes.

3 comments:

  1. I'm still trying to figure out rugby. I really enjoy watching, even if I don't always get the nuances of what's happening.

    And don't get me confused with Aussie rules. I have a hard enough time with League and Union.

    And a big hearty congrats to the XV de France on this weekend's victory in the 6 Nations tourny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Overall the talent beat the action in my eyes." You dirty ol' man. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job with the post.
    Thanks a lot for sharing.

    www.studyart.com.au

    ReplyDelete