Saturday 13 September 2008

Just lie back and think of England.......


I performed my civic duty this morning and voted early, but not often, in the Council elections.

With the Labor Party so on the nose at the State Government level at the moment it will be interesting to see how they fare in this election. My well-to-do Council Ward didn't attract any Labor Party candidates this time so the party won't be representing my area at Council level for the next four years.

Any doubts about the 'silvertail' nature of my area (and in reality after nineteen years in the area, I had none) would have been dispelled on my arrival at the Ballot location by the sight of the slimy (in my view) Professor David Flint dispensing how to vote slips.

I had seen him around my local shops previously and should have been aware he seems to live in the neighbourhood but this is the first time I can recall seeing him accosting voters. Seeing him could have been enough to encourage an informal vote out of me but I desisted and made sure that my vote will count.

Seeing Flint always makes me recall those lyrics Professor Higgins sings in My Fair Lady; "...oozing charm from every pore, he oiled his way around the floor...".

No comments:

Post a Comment